The history of the Division of Botany already starts in Zagreb in 1875-76 with continous classes in botany. The classes were taught in the Department of Botany and Physiology, as it was first called, which was at that time a part of the Mudroslovni fakultet (Faculty of Philosophy). The Division was located in a building that belonged to the high school “Gornjogradska gimnazija”, and even then it had a collection of plants that numbered more than 10, 000. From these tight rooms it was moved to the main University building, which is today the Rectorate, and later to its present location on Marulićev trg 20. When the Botanical Garden was opened in 1989, it, as well as the Division of Botany and Physiology, it belonged to the Faculty for Mathematics and Natural Sciences. From 1946, after the Faculty of Science was established, the Division of Botany along with the Botanical Garden became a part of the Department of Biology. Today, the Division of Botany is located in three locations which are centres of activity for a few very high profile scientific investigative groups. One part of the Division of Botany is in Rooseveltov trg (plant physiology, marine phytoplancton, sweet water algae, and the department office). Another part of the Division of Botany is in Marulićev trg 20 (ecology, vegetation, geobotany, archeobotany and the “Herbarium Croaticum”. and another part in Marulićev trg 9A, inside the Botanical Garden (flora, systematics, morphology, anatomy, palynology, phyotochemistry, horticulture, management of the Botanical Garden and the “Ivo and Marija Horvat” collection of plants).