Physical quantities and units. Extent of chemical reaction and stoichiometry.
Classical thermodynamics. Zeroth law of thermodynamics. Work, heat and internal energy. First law of thermodynamics.
Enthalpy. Reaction quantities. Hess law. Calorimetry (laboratory exercise).
Probability and entropy. Second law of thermodynamics.
Gibbs energy. Chemical potential. Equilibrium of chemical reaction.
Solutions. Raoult's law.
Colligative properties: vapour pressure, depression of freezing point (cryoscopy), elevation of boiling point (ebullioscopy), osmosis, osmotic pressure.
Introduction to electrochemistry. Electrolyte solutions. Conductivity (laboratory exercise).
Galvanic cells. Nernst equation (laboratory exercise).
Chemical kinetics: Basic definitions. Rate of reaction and simple rate laws (laboratory exercise). Temperature dependency of reaction rate. Catalysis.
UV- Vis spectrometry and Beer- Lambert law (laboratory exercise)
EXPECTED COMPETENCES TO BE ACQUIRED:
Students should understand, know how to interprete and apply the following topics in physical chemistry:
- basic principles of thermodynamics
- energetic changes during chemical reactions and physical processes
- chemical equilibrium
- interactions of ions in solution
- ionic conductivity
- principles of Galvanic cells and Nernst equation
- measurements of pH
- basic principles of chemical kinetics
- basic principles of UV- Vis spectrometry and Beer- Lambert law
- N. Kallay, V. Tomišić, T. Preočanin, Osnove fizikalne kemije, predavanja (lecture notes), Zavod za fizikalnu kemiju, Kemijski odsjek, PMF, 1998-2011.
P. W. Atkins, J. de Paula, Elements of Physical Chemistry, 5th ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford 2009.
T. Cvitaš, I. Planinić, N. Kallay, Rješavanje računskih zadataka u kemiji, 1st and 2nd part, Hrvatsko kemijsko društvo, Zagreb, 2008.
N. Kallay, S. Žalac, D. Kovačević, T. Preočanin, A. Čop, Osnovni praktikum fizikalne kemije, Fizikalno-kemijski praktikum 1 (lecture notes), Zavod za fizikalnu kemiju, Kemijski odsjek, PMF, Zagreb, 2002