Introduction to synthetic methods and reactions in inorganic chemistry e.g. adition and substitution and oxido-reduction reactions, reactions of thermal disociation and reactions in inert atmosphere, reactions of ligand substitution (trans effect) etc. Modern synthetic methods in synthesis of coordination compounds and polyoxometalates: reactions in the solid state, in solution (by using organic solvents or water), hydrothermal synthesis; electrolytic oxidation. Isolation of inorganic compounds: chromatographic methods, vakuum sublimation, extraction and electrochemical crystalization. Methods of characterization: standard analytical and spectroscopic methods (IR, Raman, UV, NMR, EPR) X-ray diffraction methods etc. Application of inorganic compounds: complexes as biological or industrial catalysts, clusters and polyoxometalates in catalytic reactions.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: After completion of this course, the successful student will be able to:
1. Explain adition and substitution and oxido-reduction reactions.
2. Describe modern techniques of inorganic and organometallic chemistry synthesis including Schlenk line and vacuum line methods, solvothermal, ultrasound-enhanced and microwave-enhanced synthesis.
3. Describe green synthetic approaches.
4. Plan synthetic routes to target inorganic and organometallic compounds.
5. Explain how special techniques are required for the caracterization of inorganic compounds.
6. Give an oral presentation about synthesis of inorganic substances and materials.
7. Analyse scientific article.
- OBVEZNA LITERATURA:
S. F. A. Kettle, Physical Inorganic Chemistry, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1998.
G. S. Girolami, T. B. Rauchfuss, R. J. Angelici, Synthesis and Technique in Inorganic Chemistry, University Science Books, Sausalito, 1999.
G. Wilkinson, R. D. Gillard, J. A. McCleverty, Comprehensive Coordination Chemistry, Pergamon: New York 1987.
M.T. Pope, A. Müller, Polyoxmetalates: From Platonic Solids to Anti-Retroviral Activity, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht 199
B. C. Gates, L. Guczi, H. Knözinger, Metal clusters in catalysis, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1986.
- DOPUNSKA LITERATURA:
revijalni članci i znanstvene monografije