COURSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
The course should qualify students for orientating themselves in the school/educational context, understanding the goals and tasks of modern education and making it possible to understand the theoretical/scientific notions in the area of the curriculum theory. During their work students will gain practical skills necessary for participating in the development, creation, implementation and evaluation of the curriculum.
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND SYLLABUS:
1. The historical development of school and the didactic idea. The historical review of the development of organized education and the theory of education. Modern didactic theories.
2. The subject-matter and tasks of didactics and the relation between didactics and other educational sciences. The definition of the subjet didactics - changes in the definitions throughout history. The relation between didactics and pedagogy, didactics and the anthropology of education, didactics and educational sociology, didactics and the philosophy of education.
3. Fundamental didactic concepts. The definition of notions and concepts: teaching, education, schooling, training ,upbringing,the educational process, socialization, informal education, self-education, learning by doing(experiential learning).
4. The organization and goals of "the traditional school" and the modern concept of the development of schools. The scientific and political-social conditional quality of defining/redefining the goals of education/schooling. Modern tendencies and perspectives of the development of schools in the world, in Europe ( the analysis of the documents of the European Union) and in Croatia.
5. The concept of life-long education/learning. The beinning , development and definition of the concept o life-long education/learning. The crisis of traditional schools and its causes. The reconceptualization of schooling. Changes in the educational environment- (economic, social-political, cultural changes) and their educational implications. The European trends and problems in the realization of the concept of life-long learning. The system of the life-long education of teachers. The key competences of the teacher in a "society of knowledge".
6. The curriculum theory. The concept and definition of the curriculum and the curriculum theories. Changes in modern societies and the development and changes of the curriculum. The core curriculum, the development of the school based curriculum. The implementation of the curriculum. The curriculum and the role of the teacher.
7. The establishment of educaional needs and defining the educational goals. Inner and outer educational goals. The stages of the research of educational needs. Educational needs and goals of learning.The taxonomy of goals.
8. The content of learning and educational system. The educational programme -the criteria of choice, organization, scope, depth, order.
9. Learning conditions. The inner and outer learning conditions. Teaching, organizational processes, school and class environment, classroom management.
10. Evaluation of the curriculum. The meaning of evaluation in education. Internal and external evaluation. The state secondary graduation exam as external evaluation-avantages and disadvantages. The international research of student achievements (e.g. Programme for International Student Assessment - PISA 2000. i 2003.).
11. The evaluation of teacher's work. The evaluation and improvement of one's own work.Self-evaluation techniques.