Electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic spectrum. Interactions between electromagnetic radiation and matter. Absorption, emission, scatering. Basic principles of NMR, IR and UV spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. Structural parameters and isomery. Functional groups and their spectral properties. One- and two-dimensional NMR techniques and spectral interpretation. IR and Raman spectra - group vibrations. Mass spectra - fragmentation and ions. UV spectra -chomophores. Ways of solving structural problems. Understanding the ways of interpreting spectra. Steps in establishing a molecular structure. Combination of NMR, IR, MS and UV data in an interactive manner. Molecular formula, functional groups, substructures, working structures. Identification, 2D structure, conformation, configuration. Principles in determining 3D molecular structure by combining NMR and molecular modeling methods.
EXPECTED COMPETENCES TO BE ACQUIRED:
- to understand and explain concepts of spectroscopic structural analysis
- do develop skills and competences for solving molecular structure
- to understand ways of interpreting spectra
- to compare advantages and disadvantages of spectroscopic methods for structure determination
- to choose the most appropriate approach to solve 2D and 3D molecular structure
- to apply gained knowledge and skills in scientific research
- to develop team work skills
- P. Novak i T. Jednačak, Strukturna analiza spojeva spektroskopskim metodama, TIVA Tiskara, Varaždin, 2013.
- R. M. Silverstein, F. X. Webster, D. J. Kiemle Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.
- E. Pretch, P. Bühlmann i C. Affolter: Structure Determination of Organic Compounds-Tables of spectral data, Springer, Berlin, 2009.
- L.D.Field, S. Sternhell, J.R. Kalman, Organic Structures from Spectra, Wiley, Chichester, 2004.
- T. D. W. Claridge, High Resolution NMR Techniques in Organic Chemistry, Pergamon, Amsterdam, 2009.
- E. de Hoffman, V. Stroobant, Mass Spectrometry-Principles and Applications, Wiley, Chichester, 2003