The course covers current topics in the field of biochemistry, such as ribosomal protein synthesis in the works of Nobel Prize winners, protein engineering, fluorescent proteins, genomic and proteomic research, RNA interference and its therapeutic use, signal transduction, protein targeting, biosensors, artificial enzymes, immunochemistry, drug development. Since the aim of the course is to introduce students to recent advances in biochemical research, some of the proposed topics could be replaced with the new ones.
1. to show knowledge and understanding of biochemical processes specific for eukaryotic cells
2. to specify and explain modern biochemical techniques and methods
3. to show knowledge and understanding of recent advances in biochemical research
4. to specify and explain application of biochemical research in biotechnology and medicine
5. to elaborate and present selected scientific topic in the form of written essay and oral presentation