Earth in the Universe, astronomical data about planets, satellites and small bodies in the Solar system. Methods for determination of distances. Description of the Earth's interior, mechanical properties of the Earth- Moon system, tides, change of the Earth's axis and length of the day. Milanković's cycles and glaciations. Moon structure and evolution. Internal structure of planets and representative elements. Surface features and geological processes. Termal regime in Solar system and proper source of energy. General features of planetary atmospheres and interaction with solar radiation. Planetary ionosheres and magnetosheres. Cosmology and extrasolar planets.
After completing the course and passing the exam students are able to:
- describe basic characteristic of the Solar system
- define characteristic of planetary interiors, planetary surfaces and atmospheres
- distinguish planets of the Earth's group from those of the Jovian group
- recognize the importance of studying the evolution of Solar system planets for detecting extrasolar planets
- independently analyze professional literature
- prepare and present seminars, discuss the presented topics.
- McFadden, A., Weissman, P., Torrence, V. J.: Encyclopedia of the Solar System Second edition, Elsevier Amsterdam, 2007.
- de Pater, I., Lissauer, J.J.: Planetary Sciences, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2001.