Introduction. Snow. Avalanches.Ice and glaciers. Glacial landscapes. Glacial and proglacial sediments. Glacial depositional bodies. Proglacial and periglacial sediments and environments.
Facies of glacial and periglacial environments. Glaciotectonics. Methods of research and dating. Quaternary stratigraphy. Causes of glaciations.
Achievement of specific knowledge on the subject and competences which are necessary for:
1) Field study of glacigenic, proglacial and periglacial sediments,
2) Thematical mapping,
3) Interpretation of geological relationships in the field,
4) Recognition of ice-induced deformations,
5) Recognition of ice-sculptured topography.
- Benn D.I. & Evans D.J.A. (2010): Glaciers & Glaciation, 2nd ed. Hodder Edu., London. XIV+802.
- Easterbrook, D.J. (1988): Dating Quaternary Sediments. Geol. Soc. Am. Spec. Publ.
- Ehlers, J. & Gibbard, P.L. (2004): Quaternary glaciations B extent and chronology. Development in Quaternary science v. 1 B 5. Elsevier BV
- Eyles N. & Miall A.D. (1984): Glacial Facies. In: Facies Models, 2nd ed. (ed. by: Walker R.G.), 15 38, Geoscience Canada, Toronto
- Evans D.J.A., Phillips E.R., Hiemstra J.F. & Auton C.A. (2006): Subglacial till: Formation, sedimentary characteristics and classification. Earth-Science Reviews 78, 115-176.
- Lowe J.J. & Walker M.J. (1997): Reconstructing Quaternary Environments. 2nd ed. Longman, Harlow
- Menzies J. (2002): Modern & Past Glacial Environments. 2nd ed. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford
- Stepen, J. & Peter, G. (1991): Quaternary Sediments. John Wiley & Sons, London.
- Walker M. (2005): Quaternary Dating Methods. John Wiley & Sons, London, XVII+286.