1. Understand the basic goals and working methods in palaeoecology
2. Understand the role of facies fossils in palaeoenvironmental interpretations.
3. Get familiar with facies fossils from different geological periods.
4. Learn how to apply palaeobiogeographical data in palaeoecology.
5. Learn about the palaeoenvironment at the territory of Croatia and the causes of environmental changes.
6. Learn how to apply theoretical knowledge in palaeoecology to own palaeoecological research.
1. Fossilization processes. Sedimentary rocks.
2. Lagerstatten - concentrational and conservational type.
3. Facies fossils. Taphofacies, microfacies, ichnofacies).
4. Facies fossils through geological eras: Palaeozoic (fusulinid foraminifera, calcareous algae, brachiopods, fossil megaflora etc.);
5. Facies fossils through geological eras: Mesozoic (ammonites, lithiotid bivalves, rudists);
6. Facies fossils through geological eras: Cenozoic (red algae, foraminifera, ostracods, mollusks, echinoids etc.).
7. Principles of palaeoecological analyses.
8. Palaeoecological methods and reconstruction of palaeoenvironment. Palaeotemperature. Palaeosalinity. Palaeobathimetry.
9. Statistical methods.
10. till 15. Case studies of palaeoecological research in Croatia: continental, marginal and marine environments of the Adriatic Carbonate Platform. Continental, marginal, marine and lacustrine environmentds of the Pannonian Basin.
1. Fossilization processes. Recognizing sedimentary rocks.
2. Concentration and conservation lagerstatte samples.
3. Taphofacies, microfacies.
4. Ichnofossils and ichnofacies.
5. Facies fossils from the Palaeozoic era (fusulinids, calcareous algae, brachiopods, megaflora)
6. Facies fossils from the Mesozoic era (ammonites, lithiotids, rudists).
7. Facies fossils from the Cenozoic era (red algae, foraminifers, ostracods, mollusks, echinoids).
8. Field sampling - solid rocks.
9. Field sampling - soft sediments.
10. Laboratory preparation of solid rocks.
11. Laboratory preparation of soft rocks.
12. Taxonomical determination
13. Statistical methods.
14. Graphics and photography.
15. Writing a report.
- Sremac, J. (1999): Opća paleontologija. Skripta. Prirodoslovno-matematički fakultet.
- Brenchley, P. J.; Brenchley, P. & Harper, D. (2004) Palaeoecology. Ecosystems, environments and evolutions. Chapman & Hall, 406 str.
- Krassilov, V. A. (2003): Terrestrial palaeoecology and global change. Russian Acad. Monographs 1, 464 str.
- Twitchett, R. J. (2006): The palaeoclimatology, palaeoecology and palaeoenvironmental analysis of mass extinction events. Palaeogeography, palaeoclimatology, palaeoecology 232, 190-213.
- Vavrek, M. J. (2011): fossil: Palaeoecological and palaeogeographical analysis tools. Palaeontologia Electronica 14/1, 1-12.