Title: Assistant Professor
university integrated undergraduate and graduate
Education at Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb: Diploma thesis (Molecular Biology, 1994); Master thesis (Biology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, 1998); Doctoral thesis (Biology, 2004).
Affiliation and current position: Division of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb: Assistant Professor (2008 –).
Previous positions: Senior Assistant (2005 -2008); Assistant (1995 – 2005), Division of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb.
Teaching: Lectures in Biochemistry, Biochemistry 2, Genetic and protein engineering, Modern methods of biochemical research and their application, Advanced Biochemistry Laboratory
Visits to foreign research and education institutions: Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Yale University, USA, duration: two months in 1998; Institut de Biologie Moléculaire des Plantes du CNRS, Strasbourg, France, duration: two months in 2006
Research interest: I’m interested in structure, function and evolution of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases with emphasis on plant seryl-tRNA synthetases (SerRS). I study intracellular localization of proteins, role of plant SerRS in cellular stress response and identification and characterization of SerRS protein interactors.
Scientific papers: Author of 13 original scientific papers, 2 professional papers, 2 chapters in the university textbook, 1 laboratory manual.
Mentoring: 1 PhD student, 10 Master students, 22 BSc students
Awards, recognitions and memberships: Rector's award of the University of Zagreb for the year 1993. Member of the Croatian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Member of the executive board of Croatian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Co-leader of "Young investigators", section of Croatian Natural History Society in 1997/1998; since 2018 head of the Division of Biochemistry
Participation in research projects:
1. Functional and structural characterization of protein complexes of plant aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase, Foundation of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 2018 -2019
2. Interplay of protein biosynthesis and steroid hormone metabolism in plants, Foundation of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 2016 -2017
3. Role of plant aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase in cellular stress response, Foundation of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 2014 -2015
Co-leader of work package:
INTEGRA-LIFE, FP7-REGPOT, PI: Gordan Lauc, 2013 - 2016
1. Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases as gatekeepers of the genetic code, Croatian Science Foundation, PI: Ita Gruić Sovulj, 2017-2020
2. Non-canonical roles of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases, Croatian Science Foundation, PIs: Ivana Weygand-Đurašević and Ita Gruić Sovulj, 2013-2016
3. Structural diversity of seryl-tRNA synthetases and accuracy of protein synthesis, Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, PI: Ivana Weygand-Đurašević, 2007 - 2014
4. Macromolecular complexes of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases and their role in translational quality control and non-ribosomal peptide synthesis, UKF, PI: Ivana Weygand-Đurašević, 2007-2010
5. Quality control mechanisms in seryl-tRNA biosynthesis, Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, PI: Ivana Weygand-Đurašević, 2002-2007
6. Structure, function and evolution of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases, Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, PI: Ivana Weygand-Đurašević, 1996-2002