Systems with reduced dimensions, surfaces, interfaces, thin films, quantum wells, nanowires, nanotubes, quantum dots, graphene, fullerene. Modification of electronic and crystal structure.
Basic concepts and structure of surfaces, relaxation, reconstruction, segregation, ideal 2D lattice (net) symmetry, reciprocal lattice (volume and surface), coverage, real and ideal surface, surface defects
Processes and experimental methods, diffraction - general (neutrons, X-rays, electrons), Low energy electron diffraction (LEED)- kinematical and dynamical, atom scattering, interaction of radiation with the electrons in crystals, absorption, emission, fluorescence, electron inelastic scattering, photoemission (ARUPS, XPS-ESCA), EXAFS, NEXAFS), SEXAFS, Auger emission, electron microscopy (TEM, SEM), FIE, FEE; STM and similar processes: phenomenology, basic theoretical formulation (STM,AFM)
Metal surfaces, infinite barrier model (IBM), local density of states, Bardeen oscillations, dipole layer and potential, potentials near surfaces (electrostatic, exchange, correlation), work function
Insulator and semiconductor surfaces, surface states, electrostatic potential and space charge layer, inverted (accumulation and depletion ) layers; quantized 2D electron gas, electrons on helium, image potential states
Elementary excitations at planar surfaces and other nanostructures , plasmons and LO phonons, Rayleigh waves, discrete linear models (acoustic), surface excitations in small systems, retardation effects and polaritons, quantum description of the metallic slab ((RPA: IBM and SCIBM, LDA)
Adsorption and desorption, general: adsorption, chemisorption, physisorption, bonding mechanisms (van der Waals, ionic and covalent bonds), Newns-Anderson model, substrateadsorbate tunneling: ionic and neutral adsorption, resonant electron sates on adsorbates.
- N.W. Aschroft, N. D. Mermin, Solid State Physics, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976.
- C. Kittel, Quantum Theory of Solids; Willey & Sons, 1953
- D. Langreth, H. Suhl, eds., Many-Body Phenomena at Surfaces, Academic Press, 1984
- A. Prutton, ed. Electronic Properties of Surfaces, Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1984
- M. Šunjić, Surface Elementary Excitations, in Dynamics of Gas-Surfaace Interactions, Springer Series in Chemical Physics, Vol. 21., G. Benedek, U. Valbusa, eds., 1982
- A . Zangwill, Physics of Surfaces, Cambridge University Press, 1988
- Hans Luth, Solid surfaces, interfaces and thin films, Springer 2001