1. Understand and attain the fundamental knowledge on the issues of controlled breeding of aquatic organisms in the conditions of today's accelerated development.
2. Understand and attain the fundamental knowledge on the abiotic and biotic factors in aquaculture.
3. Explain the basic principles and breeding techniques of warm water species of freshwater fish.
4. Explain the basic principles and techniques of breeding cold water species of freshwater fish.
5. Explain the basic principles and techniques of breeding organisms in mariculture.
6. Understand and explain the basic facts and principles in freshwater and marine fisheries, and recreational fisheries in today's social framework.
7. Understand and analyse the fundamental legal aspects pertaining to the management of controlled breeding of aquatic organisms in Croatia and in the European Union.
1. Introduction and historical overview of the development of aquaculture in Croatia and the world
2. The need for breeding aquatic organisms and the different breeding purposes
3. Abiotic and biotic factors in aquaculture
4. Division of aquaculture by breeding intensity and various types of fishponds
5. Fishponds for the breeding warm water fish species
6. Fish breeding in warm water fishponds, from larvae to consumable size
7. Fishponds for breeding cold water fish species
8. Fish breeding in cold water fish ponds, from larvae to consumable size
9. Health of aquatic organisms
10. Fundamental legal aspects pertaining to the management of controlled breeding of aquatic organisms in Croatia and in the European Union.
11. Basics of mariculture and breeding techniques
12. Breeding of individual species in mariculture, from larvae to consumable size
13. Breeding of ornamental species
14. Breeding of freshwater crustaceans
15. Conservation aquaculture
During the semester, students are required to draft a seminar paper from among the aquaculture topics covered. The seminar paper is presented to the class, and is followed by discussion and peer evaluation of accomplishments.
Work on the seminar paper includes:
1. Selection of a relevant seminar topic.
2. Literature search, use of internet databases, accessing literature in the library
3. Presenting the seminar paper to the professor and fellow students.
4. Discussion on the seminar, analysis of communication skills, assessment of student success in drafting the seminar paper.
- Treer, T., Safner, R., Aničić, I., Lovrinov, M. (1995): Ribarstvo, Nakladni zavod Globus, Zagreb.
- Shephard, J., Bromage, N. (1988): Intensive Fish farming. Oxford, London, Edinburgh, Boston, Palo Lato, Melbourne.
- Grupa autora (1982): Slatkovodno ribarstvo, Jugoslavenska medicinska naknada, Zagreb.
- Bogut I., Horvath, L., Zdenek, A., Katavić, I. (2006): Ribogojstvo 2, Poljoprivredni fakultetu Osijeku, Osijek
- Adamek, Z.,Jirasek, J., Krupauer, V. (1989): Ribarstvi a ochrana vod. Vysoka škola zemledelske v Brne.
- Billard, R. (1999): The Carp Biology and Culture. Aquaculture and Fisheries, Springer Praxis Books.