1. to understand the stem cell and how it converges to a certain function
to understand the practical use of biomaterials and how they can be used as carriers
to understand the potential application of biological techniques in regenerative biomedicine
2. to grow bone marrow-derived stem cells and direct them to osteoblast lineage
3. to grow tissue in 3D culture
4. to analyze markers of differentiation
1. Defining the basic concepts of stem cell biology
Properties of stem cells, stem cell types, methods of derivation and differentiation potency, the basics of early embryonic development
2. Embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells
Derivation and culturing of embryonic stem cells, regulation and legal ethics, two states of pluripotency, reprogramming cells into induced pluripotent stem cells, iPSC applications, the regulatory network of self-renewal.
3. Multipotent stem cells
The source tissues in adult organism, hematopoietic stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, methods of derivation, culturing and applications
4. Regenerative medicine
Three modesls of regenerative medicine: activation of endogenous stem cells, stem cell therapy and tissue engineering with relevant examples. Scaffolds and biomaterials for scaffold production
5. Skin tissue engineering
Structure of the skin, diseases and conditions requiring transplantation, keratinocyte stem cells, culturing, growing of skin grafts on different carriers
6. Bone and cartilage tissue engineering
Embryonic development of bone and cartilage defects that require transplantation, regulatory networks of differentiation, culturing osteoblasts and chondrocytes and the respective scaffolds
7. Hematopoietic stem cells
Selfrenewal, differentiation and dormancy. Signaling pathways and selfrenewal. Transcription factors in hematopoiesis. The mechanisms of reprogramming of hematopoietic lineage. Mobilization of blood stem cells in peripheral blood.
8. Stem cells niche
Niche model. Niches in mammalian tissues. Hematopoietic stem cells niche. The signals in the niche.
9. Jak2 in myeloproliferative neoplasms.
Leukaemic stem cells. Jak proteins. JAK2V617F mutation. Molecular tests. Molecular diagnosis of JAK2V617F mutation.
10. Endothelial progenitor cells.
Definition of endothelial progenitor cells. Vasculogenesis and angiogenesis . Blood vessels. Isolation and expansion of endothelial progenitor cells. Vascular and endothelial growth factors (VEGF).
11. Cardiac stem cells
Cardiac progenitor cells. Clinical pespective.
Lab work :
1. Growth and differentiation mesenchymal stem cells on scaffold in perfusion bioreactor
2. Analysis of bone tissue - histology and qPCR
3. Analysis of hematopietic stem cells - Detection of JAK2V617F mutation in peripheral blood cells with allele-specific PCR technique
Students present the latest works and achievements in a given area
- A. Atala i sur. Principles of Regenerative Medicine, 2nd ed. (2011), Academic Press, London, UK
G. Stein i sur. Human Stem Cell Technology and Biology (2011), Wiley-BlackWell, USA.
R. Lanza i sur. Essentials of Stem Cell Biology, 2nd ed. (2009), Academic Press, London, UK