Students will gain basic knowledge in the field of special education, and will be able to apply classroom accommodations, developmental teaching techniques and designed modifications. The course content should provide a comprehensive and systematic review of methodology of teaching biology to children with special needs, as well as their integration / inclusion. Expected learning outcomes:
- knowledge of individual similarities and differences in child development (intervariability, intravariability)
- understanding of developmental delays and procedures that identify students with special needs
- knowledge of basic educational characteristics of children with special needs, children with problem behaviour and talented children
- knowledge of educational rights of children with special needs in Croatian educational system
- knowledge and usage of pedagogical-didactic-methodical procedures in meeting the special needs of children and youth with mental, visual, auditory, physical, and combined developmental difficulties and changes in personality conditioned by organic and social-emotional factors
- understanding of historical development, key concepts and main ideas in the field of special education
- creation of safe, inclusive, culturally responsive learning environments so that individuals with exceptionalities become active and effective learners in integrative learning environment
- design, implementation and evaluation of integrative curriculum to individualize learning for individuals with special needs
- critical examination of theory of special education and evidence-based instructional strategies to advance biology teaching to individuals with exceptionalities
- design of pedagogical activities aimed at integration of students with special
1. Special Pedagogy Basics: Methodology of teaching children with special needs
2. Individual similarities and differences in child development (intravariability, intervariabilitya)
3. Educational integration
4. Structure of education of children with special needs
5. Models of educational integration
6. Teacher competences
7. Methodology of teaching children with mental disabilities
8. Methodology of teaching children with hearing and seeing Impairment
9. Methodology of teaching children with physical disability
10. Methodology of teaching children with learning disabilities
11. Exam: Methodology of teaching children with special needs in school
12. Methodology of teaching children with problem behaviour
13. Methodology of teaching talented children
14. Cooperation between teachers and parents of children with special needs
15. Textbooks for students with special needs
- Bouillet, D., 2010: Izazovi integriranog odgoja i obrazovanja. Školska knjiga, Zagreb.
- Hrvatić, N., 2004: Udžbenici za učenike s posebnim potrebama, u: Halačev, S. (ur.), Udžbenik i virtualno okruženje, Zagreb, Školska knjiga.
- Igrić, Lj. (ur.), 2004: Moje dijete u školi. Zagreb: Ministarstvo obitelji, branitelja i međugeneracijske solidarnosti i Hrvatska udruga za stručnu pomoć djeci s posebnim potrebama IDEM.
- Kostelnik, M., Onaga, E., Rohde, B., Whiren, A., 2004: Djeca s posebnim potrebama, Educa, Zagreb.
- Greenspan, S. I., Wieder, S., 2003: Dijete s posebnim potrebama. Zagreb, Ostvarenje.
- Hrvatić, N. (2008), Vseživljenjsko izobraževanje - izobraževanje oseb s posebnimi potrebami, Trajnostni razvoj v šoli in vrtcu, Maribor, Zavod Republike Slovenije za šolstvo 1(2):45-50.
- Jensen, E. (2004), Različiti mozgovi, različiti učenici, Zagreb, Educa.
- Kiš-Glavaš, I., Fulgosi-Masnjak, R., 2002.: Do prihvaćanja zajedno. Zagreb: Hrvatska udruga za stručnu pomoć djeci s posebnim potrebama IDEM.
- Mehringer, A., 2003: Mala specijalna pedagogija, Zagreb, Educa.
- Zrilić, S. (2011), Djeca s posebnim potrebama u vrtiću i nižim razredima osnovne škole, Zadar, Sveučilište u Zadru.