Scientific method. Rules in setting the questions and a route to obtaining a propre answers in science. Historical overview of the development of Scientific method.
Data Sources: Literature review, computer database searching, citation of sources. Scientometrics.
Scientific papers. Scientific styles. How to organize, compile and write a thesis and scientific articles. The components of the scientific paper: title, author, abstract, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, conclusion, sources said. (4 hours)
The use of scientific and professional Croatian and English language in terms of mastering the rules of writing scientific articles (point of view, tense, voice), especially in terms of structure and scientific syntax (the target audience sensibility, zooming, story thread, phrases) and style of writing, and especially speech. (2 hours)
Preparation of scientific presentations in the form of poster and oral presentations. Writing and applications of scientific research projects and / or scholarships.
How to organize scientific contributions to the manuscript. Tables and figures. Using computers in academic work part 1. Organizing spreadsheets and worging with images. Vector, raster and raw graphics.
Using computers in academic work part 2. Basic concepts in statistics. Select and apply proper statistical methods. Parametric and nonparametric methods. Univariate and multivariate analyses. Performing analysis and interpretating the results for: correlation coefficients, analysis of variance. analysis of covariance, multiple regression, Mann Whitney test, Kruskal Wallis test (multidimensional scaling, cluster analysis, canonical correspondence analysis). (3 hours)
Code of Ethics. Peer review (article, poster, presentation, project task).
Search the databases for relevant publications on a given topic.
Assessing the quality of scientific publications (team assignments) (2 hours)
Write a segment of scientific paper (abstract, introduction materials and methods, results and discussion (according to assigned data)) (2 hours)
Mathematical analysis of the given set of data (2 hours)
Making presentations in PowerPoint
Making a poster presentation
Peer review (independent work - anonymous evaluation of colleague's work) (2 hours)
Discussion on the results of the course (course review)
1) identification of problems worth researching , 2) setting goals and hypotheses and organizing and implementing research program, 3) an objective, practical and ethical interpretation of the results using appropriate mathematical and computational methods, 4) prepare scientific articles for publication, 5) organized team work, 6) preparation of project tasks, 7) mobility in education, 8) critical and objective peer evaluation.
- Silobrčić, V. (2008.) Kako sastaviti, objaviti i ocijeniti znanstveno djelo. 6. izdanje, Medicinska naklada, Zagreb.
- Zar, J.H. (1996): Biostatistical analysis. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 662 pp.
- Cohen M. F. (2008): An Introduction To Logic And Scientific Method; Hughes Press
- Kramer S. P., Bond F. (1987): How to Think Like a Scientist: Answering Questions by the Scientific Method; HarperCollins
Clements F.E. (2011) Research methods in ecology; University of Toronto Libraries
Wilson E.B. (1991) An Introduction to Scientific Research. Dover Publications
Hairston, N. G. (1989): Ecological experiments: purpose, design and execution. Cambridge University Press, Cam- bridge, UK.
Carey S.S. (2011): A Beginner's Guide to Scientific Method; Wadsworth Publishing
Izbor znanstvenih radova iz studentima zanimljivih područja dostupnih putem internetskih baza.