1. Differentiate main communities in the littoral zone and describe processes which take place in them.
2. Plan and organize simple research of these communities and organisms which live in them.
3. Choose suitable methods and instruments required for the research.
4. Define scientific approach and use it in the research of life in the sea.
5. Define endangerment of the life in the sea and justify need for its protection.
6. Explain the need for intra- and interdisciplinary collaboration in sea research.
Introducing main types of the littoral communities and their ecology to the students and showing their endangerment with human activities on the field. Enable them to try in situ different methods and instruments used in research of these communities and sea in general. After successfully finishing the fieldwork students will be able to use the acquired knowledge to understand and research the ecological processes which take place in the littoral zone. This fieldwork is connected with the courses Methods in marine research (74437) and Ecology of the Littoral Zone (44552).
Introduction to the main types of all the accessible littoral communities and their ecology, determination of the human impact on them.
Planning of the simple research projects - depending on the type of the littoral community.
Measuring of relevant abiotic parameters (from the ship, from the shore), positioning of long-term data-loggers, taking water samples.
Collecting and determination of biological samples, quantitative sample collecting.
Sorting of all the collected and noted data, fixing and packing the samples.
Visit to nearby protected areas, introduction to their management and challenges they face.
Visit to nearby mariculture enterprise, introduction to their work.
Writing the final report with compilation of all the processed data collected on the fieldwork.
- Bakran-Petricioli, T. (2007) Morska staništa ? Priručnik za inventarizaciju i praćenje stanja (serija Biološka raznolikost Hrvatske; ISBN 978-953-7169-31-2). Državni zavod za zaštitu prirode, Zagreb, 56 str. + 102 str. priloga (http://www.dzzp.hr/dokumenti_upload/20100316/dzzp201003161354150.pdf i http://www.dzzp.hr/dokumenti_upload/20100316/dzzp201003161354460.pdf)
Bakran-Petricioli, T. (2011) Priručnik za određivanje morskih staništa u Hrvatskoj prema Direktivi o staništima EU (ISBN 978-953-7169-84-8). Državni zavod za zaštitu prirode, Zagreb, 184 str.( http://www.dzzp.hr/publikacije/prirucnici/prirucnik-za-odredivanje-morskih-stanista-u-hrvatskoj-prema-direktivi-o-stanistima-eu-966.html)
- izabrani pregledni, stručni i znanstveni članci te odabrani dijelovi slijedećih udžbenika:
Mann, KH (2000) Ecology of Coastal Waters, Blackwell Science, Abingdon, UK
Bertness, MD, Gaines, SD & Hay, ME (2001) Marine Community Ecology, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland MA, USA
Henderson, PA (2003) Practical Methods in Ecology, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK