Types of reaction in inorganic chemistry
Solid state reactions, gas reactions, reactions in aqua and nonaqua medium, reactions of the molten salts, reactions in ionic liquids
Synthesis of inorganic compounds and organometallic compounds in inert atmosphere
Solvothermal synthesis, intercalation
Electrolysis in inorganic synthesis; complexes, 'template' synthesis in inorganic chemistry
Clusters, organometallic compounds, Coordination polymers - Seminar work include presentation of actual literature findings about selected topics.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: After completion of this course, the successful student will be able to:
1. Describe techniques of inorganic material synthesis including high temperature solid-state procedures, CVD and PVD.
2. Describe modern techniques of inorganic and organometallic chemistry synthesis including Schlenk line and vacuum line methods, solvothermal, ultrasound-enhanced and microwave-enhanced synthesis.
3. Describe green synthetic approaches.
4. Plan synthetic routes to target inorganic and organometallic compounds.
5. Explain how special techniques are required for the preparation of specific inorganic compounds.
6. Give an oral presentation about synthesis of inorganic substances and materials.
7. Analyse scientific article focusing on one of the synthetic techniques.
- 1. J. E. Huheey, E. A. Keiter, R. L. Keiter, Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4. izd., Harper Collins College Publishers, New York, 1993.
2. G. S. Girolami, T. B. Rauchfuss, R. J. Angelici, Synthesis and Technique in Inorganic Chemistry, 3. izd., University Science Books, Sausalito, 1999.
3. P. J. Van der Put, The Inorganic Chemistry of Materials, Plenum Press, New York, 1998.
- G. S. Girolami, T. B. Rauchfuss, R. J. Angelici: Synthesis and Technique in Inorganic Chemistry, 3. izd., University Science Books, Sausalito, 1999.
- 1. R. H. Crabtree, The Organometallic Compounds of the Transition Metals, 2nd Ed., John Wiley&Sons, New York, 2004.
2. D.F. Shriver, P. W. Atkins, C. H. Langford, Inorganic Chemistry, 2nd Ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1994.
- P. J. Van der Put: The Inorganic Chemistry of Materials, Plenum Press, New York 1998.