To learn basic rules of inheritance in cells, individuals and populations; to understand the molecular mechanisms by which genes control growth, development and appearance of an organism.
1. To gain knowledge on the rules of inheritance in cells, individuals and populations.
2. To understand molecular mechanisms by which genes control growth, development and appearance of an organism.
3. To be able to integrate knowledge of inheritance from the biochemistry of the genetic material to inheritance patterns and horizontal and vertical transfer of genes in the population
4. To explain how mutations affect survival and evolution of species
5. To explain the importance of cloning and genetic manipulation
6. To analyse and solve genetic problems
1. Science of genetics: basic concept; areas of genetics, genetic discoveries. Mendelism and The Chromosomal Theory; rules of inheritance. Allelic interactions: dominance, incomplete dominance and codominance. 2. Genotyping interactions: epistasis. One Gene One Enzyme Hypothesis; Multiple alleles. 3. Sex determination; sex linkage; dosage compensation: Lyon hypothesis. 4. Linkage and mapping in eukaryotes. 5. Cytogenetics: variation in chromosome number. Mechanism and consequences. 6. Variation in chromosomal structure. Mechanism and consequences. 7. Molecular genetics: chemistry of the gene; gene expression: transcription and translation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes. 8. Gene mutations; mutation rates; point mutations, detection; DNA repair. Spontaneous and induced mutagenesis. 9. Linkage and mapping in prokaryotes and bacterial viruses. 10. Gene expression: control in prokaryotes. 11. The eukaryotic chromosome. 12. Gene expression: control in eukaryotes. 13. Nonmendelian inheritance. 14. Quantitative and Evolutionary genetics. Population genetics.15. Recombinant DNA technology.
Include practical work in some topics with developing competences for solving and analysing genetic problems.
Laws of inheritance
Linkage in eukaryotes
Genetics of microorganisms
- Tamarin, R.H., 1999.: Principles of genetics, VCB Publishers, Oxford.
- Hartwell L.H. i sur. 2004.: Genetics: from genes to genomes, McGraw Hill Companies Inc., New York.
- Copper, G.M., Hausman R.E. 2004.: Stanica Molekularni pristup (ur. Hrvatskog izdanja G. Lauc), Medicinska naklada, Zagreb
- Pavlica M. Mrežni udbenik iz Genetike 2012
- Brooker, R. J. 2009.: Genetics; Analysis and principles, McGraw-Hill, New York
- Predavanja i protokoli vježbi na web stranici www.biol.pmf.hr