Using active preparation and participation in the course, students will acquire basics for the study ecological processes in nature and also for educational and experimental work. They will obtain basic knowledge on anatomy and morphology of algae and invertebrates that will be the basis for participation in courses on higher years of their study (botany, ecology). Students will develop abilities to identify and determine the most prevailing species; they will also recognize the role of those organisms in nature. By means of practical and field work students will acquire knowledge on improvement of school equipment for biology or on inventive approach in teaching or in some forms of pupil's competitions.
Students will know to:
1. practically use acquired field and laboratory methods
2. discuss on basic autotrophic and heterotrophic organisms in nature, their evolution and adaptations on different environmental conditions
3. recognize and classify marine invertebrates and protists as well as terrestrial entomofauna
4. compare diversity of invertebrates and algae on different types of marine benthal using diversity indices
5. create hypotheses, design and conduct an experiment using scientific method
6. use theoretical and practical bases to develop efficient strategy of teaching
7. develop abilities of analytical and critical thinking and using acquired information; they will increase their communication skills, abilities to accept and develop recognition of diversity razviti sposobnosti analitičkog i kritičkog promišljanja i korištenja usvojenih informacija, with reflection on the personal experience, frames and values
Classes are held in Zagreb, Rovinj and Pula. Laboratory work is held in the premises of Department of Biology in Zagreb, Centre for Marine Research of Institute Ruđer Bošković in Rovinj and Aquarium in Pula. Students learn methodology of education in nature with basic contents of conservation of samples and cultivation as basic biological methods.
1. Collection of invertebrates on rocky shore in supralittoral, mediolittoral and upper infralittoral zone. Observation of habitat biodiversity and adaptations of some invertebrate species to conditions in supratidal (i.e., wave splash) zone and intertidal zone.
2. Collection of sea invertebrates by dredging within the infralittoral zone at the depth of 25 m. Abundance and diversity of invertebrates at different types of substrate. Invertebrate anatomical, physiological and ethological adaptations to the environmental conditions.
3. Analysis of collected material in the laboratory of Institute Ruđer Bošković (Rovinj). Invertebrate taxonomical determination; principles of conservation and permanent/temporary preparation of invertebrates.
4. Through sections and morphological analysis of the fresh invertebrate material, students get insight into various marine invertebrate morphological types, their anatomy as well as life functions. The anatomy and ethology of the marine invertebrates are observed and analysed as a reflection of adaptations to a particular biotope.
5. Artificial insemination of sea urchin. Observation of the early stages of embryonic development. Anatomical characteristics of Echinodermata and their diversity within the Northern Adriatic basin.
6. Collection, taxonomical determination and preparation of terrestrial invertebrates (Gastropoda; Pulmonata, Lumbricidae, Chelicerata, Myriapoda, Insecta). Insect collecting methods using different traps and supplies (different types of insect nets and traps, sticky and blacklight i.e., UV light traps).
1. Collection of algae in littoral zone with aim to observe adaptations to different life conditions.
2. Basic techniques of preparation and making of herbarium of marine algae.
3. Charting at the field and drawing of maps of algal diversity at investigational sites.
4. Phytoplankton and sublittoral algae and methods of their collection with plankton nets and tow nets from the boat.
5. Analysis of human impact to distribution of littoral algae.
6. Creative workshop of acquired knowledge.
- Habdija, I., Primc Habdija, B., Radanović, I., Vidaković, J., Kučinić, M., Špoljar, M., Matoničkin, R. & Miliša, M.: Protista-Protozoa i Metazoa-Invertebrata. Funkcionalna građa i praktikum.- Meridijani, Samobor, 2004.
- Habdija, I., Primc Habdija, B., Radanović, I., Špoljar, M., Matoničkin Kepčija, R., Vujčić Karlo, S., Miliša, M. Ostojić, A., Sertić Perić, M. (2011): Protista-Protozoa i Metazoa-Invertebrata. Strukture i funkcije.- Alfa d.d., Zagreb, 584 str.
- Riedl, R.: Fauna und Flora des Mittelmeeres.- Verlag Paul Parey, Hamburg, 1983.