* Load is given in academic hour (1 academic hour = 45 minutes)
COURSE GOALS: Introduction to basic laboratory equipment, reagents, techniques and safety measures. Acquiring the skills of experimentation, observation, measurement and interpretation of results.
LEARNING OUTCOMES AT THE LEVEL OF THE PROGRAMME:
1. KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
1.2. demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the fundamental concepts in chemistry
1.4. demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the most important chemistry laws and theories
2. APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
2.2. describe important aspects of chemical change
2.3. apply stoichiometry
2.6. prepare and perform classroom physics and chemistry experiments and interpret the results of observation
2.7. apply basic laboratory safety and security measures
5. LEARNING SKILLS
5.1. search for and use professional literature as well as any other sources of relevant information
LEARNING OUTCOMES SPECIFIC FOR THE COURSE:
1. Properly handle laboratory equipment.
2. Apply safety rules at work.
3. Acquire basic techniques of laboratory work.
4. Use theoretical knowledge in the experimental work.
5. Develop the power of observation and exact recording of experimental data.
6. Scientifically correct interpretation of results of the measurements.
1. introduction of laboratory equipment and laboratory safety
2. determination of mass and density of the sample
3. mechanical separation of mixtures (decanting and filtering)
4. determining the melting point and boiling point
5. separating mixtures based on differences in solubility (measuring molar enthalpies of salt
6. recrystallization, fractional crystallization)
7. separating mixtures based on differences in vapor pressure (sublimation, distillation, vacuum distillation)
8. preparation solution of a given composition (salts, acids, alkalis)
9. chemical elements and compounds (determination of the molecular weight and chemical formula)
10. gases (preparation, physical and chemical properties)
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS:
Colloquium before each exercise, the successful performed of laboratory exercises, writing reports.
GRADING AND ASSESSING THE WORK OF STUDENTS:
During the teaching process the teacher (assistant) continually assess student's achievements and progress. The final score includes success in preparing laboratory exercises, the success achieved on individual tests, reports. The final exam if necessary.
- 1. M. Sikirica, B. Korpar-Čolig, Praktikum iz opće kemije, II. izd., Školska knjiga, Zagreb 2003.
2. I. Filipović, S. Lipanović, Opća i anorganska kemija I i II dio, IX. izd., Školska knjiga, Zagreb 1995.
3. Interni nastavni materijali.
- 1. M. Sikirica, Stehiometrija, XX. izd., Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2008.