Analyses of Earth structure, seismicity, Earth models and plate tectonics. Exploration of Earth structure using wave propagation. Interpreting and collecting macroseismic data.
Origins, classification and distribution of the earthquakes, seismicity and structure of Earth, plate tectonics, macroseismology: macroseismic scale, interpretation of isoseismal maps. Body waves, travel time tables, Mohorovičić discontinuity, Wiechert-Herglotz method.
After completing the course, students are able to:
- Analyse, interpret and collect macroseismic data
- Describe effects of earthquakes according to macroseismic scales,
- Define basic terms of macroseismology, plate tectonics and structure of the Earth,
- Compute macroseismic parameters of earthquakes.
Listening of the lectures, active cooperation at exercises and case study and programming.
Lectures, exercises and case study.
METHODS OF MONITORING AND VERIFICATION:
Presence at lectures, exercises and colloquium. Written and oral exam.
TERMS FOR RECEIVING THE SIGNATURE:
The presence at lectures and preliminary exam.
- Lay, T., T. C. Wallace: Modern Global Seismology, Academic Press, San Diego, 1995.
Lowrie, W., A. Fichtner: Fundamentals of Geophysics, Third Edition, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2020.
Shearer, P.M.: Introduction to Seismology, Third Edition, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2019.
Stein, S. and M. Wysession: An introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes and Earth structure, Blackwell Publ., 2003.
Udias, A., E. Buforn: Principles of Seismology, Second Edition, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2018.