1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of basic principles of three dimensional structure of minerals and crystallized matter and symmetry principles.
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of mineralogical nomenclature and symbols.
3. Determine symmetry of crystal polyhedra.
4. Recognize crystal form.
5. Construct stereographic projection.
6. Recognize crystal phase on the basis of X ray powder pattern by using PDF database
1. Definition of mineral, three dimensional periodic framework, crystal lattice, unit cell, crystal systems.
2. Crystal morphology, symmetry elements, crystal form, habitus, zone.
3. Law of the constancy of the angle, spherical projection, stereographic projection, Wulff net.
4. Law of rational relationship of parameters, designation of lines and planes.
5. Point groups, names and Herman Maugin symbols, general form.
6. Forms on cubic crystals.
7. Forms in other systems.
8. Problems of symmetry determination. Defining of crystal structures, atomic coordinates, screw axes, glide planes.
9.- 10. Bravais lattices, space groups, International crystallographic tables.
11.-12. Dependence of crystal structure on chemical bonds, coordination and polyhedra, isomorphism, polymorphism.
13. Solid solutions, exsolution, crystal defects.
14.-15. X ray diffraction, Bragg law, theory and principles of powder method application.