Low Temperature and Strong Magnetic Field Laboratory is situated in the sub terrain floor (room 011) of the Department of Physics. Research is conducted using high magnetic fileds (up to 18 T), and low temperatures (down to 0.3 K). We investigate magnetotransport properties (resistance, magnetoresistance, Hall effect) of various materials (low dimensional conductors, oxide heterostructures,...).
Our laboratory is equiped with:
- superconducting magnets: 18 T and 12 T
- variable temperature inserts: 1.5 K to 300 K
- He3 temperature insert: down to 0.3 K
- equipment for AC and DC resistance measurement: Lock-in amplifiers, AC and DC current sources (e.g. Keithley 6221), nanovoltmenters (e.g. Keithley 181)
Current research projects:
- 2014. – 2018.: Strongly Correlated Electrons in Layered Organics and Manganites: Low Frequency Excitations and Non-linear Dynamics; leader: dr. sc. Silvia Tomić, Institute of Physics, Zagreb; Croatian Science Foundation (HRZZ) research project
Recent topics of our research:
- low dimensional conductors We have investigated magnetotransport properties of quasi-one-dimensional conductors: Bechgaard-Fabre salts, TTF-TCNQ, quasi-one-dimensional cuprates Sr14-xCaxCu24O41, and quasi-two-dimensional organics based on BEDT-TTF, in order to examine the influence of dimensionality on the magnetotransport properties, and to prove the importance of the correct choice of geometry for measurements of low dimensional conductors.
M. Čulo, E. Tafra, M.Basletić, S. Tomić, A.Hamzić, B.Korin-Hamzić, M.Dressel, J.A.Schlueter, Two-dimensional variable range hopping in the spin-liquid candidate κ-(BEDT-TTF)2Cu2(CN)3, Physica B: Physics of Condensed Matter 460, 208 (2015)
- M. Pinterić, M. Čulo, O. Milat, M. Basletić, B. Korin-Hamzić, E. Tafra, A. Hamzić, T. Ivek, T. Peterseim, K. Miyagawa, K. Kanoda, J. A. Schlueter, M. Dressel, S. Tomić, Anisotropic charge dynamics in the quantum spin-liquid candidate κ-(BEDT-TTF)2Cu2(CN)3, Phys. Rev. B 90, 195139 (2014)
- E. Tafra, M. Čulo, B. Korin-Hamzić, M. Basletić, A. Hamzić, C. S. Jacobsen, The Hall effect in the organic conductor TTF-TCNQ: choice of geometry for accurate measurements of a highly anisotropic system, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 24, 045602 (2012)
- E. Tafra, B. Korin-Hamzić, M. Basletić, A. Hamzić, M. Dressel, J. Akimitsu, Influence of doping on the Hall coefficient in Sr14-xCaxCu24O41, Phys. Rev. B 78, 155122 (2008)
- B. Korin-Hamzić, E. Tafra, M. Basletić, A. Hamzić, and M. Dressel, Conduction anisotropy and Hall effect in the organic conductor (TMTTF)2AsF6: Evidence for Luttinger liquid behavior and charge ordering, Phys. Rev. B 73, 115102 (2006)
- metallic heterostructures We have investigated Extrinsic Inverse Spin Hall Effect in copper-iridium alloy, and we have shown that alloys combining side-jump and skew scattering are promising for eficient transformation of charge current into spin current in devices without magnetic components
- oxide heterostructures We have investigated magnetotransport properties of oxide heterostuctures based on SrTiO3(STO), which are being considered as a substitution for classical ferromagnets in spintronics. For Co-LSTO((La,Sr)Ti0.98Co0.02O3)/STO, LaAlO3(LAO)/STO and ion-irradiated STO, we examined the dimensionality, the width, and the origin of the high-mobility electron layer.
- G. Herranz, O. Copie, A. Gentils, E.Tafra, M. Basletić, F. Fortuna, K. Bouzehouane, S. Fusil, E. Jacquet, C. Carrétéro, M. Bibes, A. Hamzić, A. Barthélémy, Vacancy defect and carrier distributions in the high mobility electron gas formed at ion-irradiated SrTiO3 surfaces, J. Appl. Phys. 107, 103704 (2010)
- G. Herranz, M. Basletić, O. Copie, M. Bibes, A. N. Khodan, C. Carrétéro, E. Tafra, E. Jacquet, K. Bouzehouane, A. Hamzić, and A. Barthélémy, Controlling high-mobility conduction in SrTiO3 by oxide thin film deposition, Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 012113 (2009)
- M. Basletić, J.-L. Maurice, C. Carrétéro, G. Herranz, O. Copie, M. Bibes, É. Jacquet, K. Bouzehouane, S. Fusil, A. Barthélémy, Mapping the spatial distribution of charge carriers in LaAlO3/SrTiO3 heterostructures, Nature Materials 7, 621 (2008)
- G. Herranz, M. Basletić, M. Bibes, C. Carretero, E. Tafra, E. Jacquet, K. Bouzehouane, C. Deranlot, A. Hamzić, J. M. Broto, A. Barthélémy, A. Fert, Three Dimensional Character of the High Mobility Electron Gas of LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Heterostructures, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98 216803 (2007)
- G. Herranz, R. Ranchal, M. Bibes, H. Jaffrès, E. Jacquet, J.-L. Maurice, K. Bouzehouane, F. Wyczisk, E. Tafra, M. Basletić, A. Hamzić, C. Colliex, J.-P. Contour, A. Barthélémy, and A. Fert, Co-Doped (La,Sr)TiO3-δ: A High Curie Temperature Diluted Magnetic System with Large Spin Polarization, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 027207 (2006)
In photo from left to right: A. Hamzić, M. Basletić, A. Fert (visiting our lab) and E. Tafra
People working in the Low Temperature and Strong Magnetic Field Laboratory:
- Prof. Amir Hamzić (e-mail)
- Prof. Mario Basletić (e-mail)
- Dr. Emil Tafra (e-mail)
- Branimir Mihaljević, mag. phys. (e-mail)
- Marko Kuveždić, mag. phys. (e-mail)
We are always open for collaboration and please don't hesitate to contact us.