|Public phone number:||+385 1 4606 184|
|Internal phone number:||6184|
|Department:||Division of Analytical Chemistry|
|mr.sc. graduation year:||1993|
|PhD graduation year:||1995|
|Employed in this institution since:||2005|
Predrag Novak (born January 29, 1966) graduated at the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science in 1990. He completed his doctoral thesis at the Ruđer Bošković Institute and received Ph.D. degree from the University of Zagreb in 1995. He is currently full professor tenure at the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science. He was doctoral fellow at the Karl-Franzens University in Graz in 1993 and 1995. He was visiting researcher at the National Institute of Chemistry in Ljubljana in 2003 and 2005. He was also a short-time visiting researcher at the University of Manchester, Central Research Institute for Chemistry in Budapest and Johannes-Kepler University in Linz. P. Novak was awarded Egon Matijević prize in chemistry for young researchers.
He worked for PLIVA Research Institute (1998-2005) where he established NMR laboratory and the laboratory of spectroscopy. His current scientific interest includes design and interactions of bioactive molecules and drugs by using modern spectroscopic methods such as NMR, MS, vibrational spectroscopies and molecular modeling. Second area of his scientific research is hydrogen bonding as one of the crucial factor that influence stability, structure and reactivity of molecules, especially those of biological importance. He employs spectroscopic and computational methods. Some of his scientific efforts are directed to developing and implementing process analytical techniques to analyze drugs and bioactive molecules mainly by using in-line vibrational spectroscopy (IR and Raman) and statistical methods. He also worked on developing hyphenated analytical tools for analyzing impurities in drug substances by using LC-SPE/cryo-NMR techniques. So far, he published over 100 scientific and professional papers in highly esteemed journals with high impact factors (majority of them in Q1 and Q2). The papers were cited more than 1600 times in the literature (WoS, Scopus, Google schoolar). His work was internationally recognized which resulted in numerous invitations to give talks at international scientific conferences and workshops and at several universities and institutes in UK, India, Hungary, Austria, Romania, Slovenia, etc. He is a co-author of five scientific book chapters and the university handbook Structural Analysis of Compounds by Spectroscopic Methods. He was a supervisor of 45 diploma theses, 16 BSc theses and 10 PhD theses.
Professor Novak was/is a committee member of several international scientific conferences (MMCE, Pharma NMR, Adriatic NMR) and a member of International Access Board of East-NMR, Bio-NMR, International board od Ampere society, international IUPAC board for analytical chemistry, American Chemical Society and a member of Croatian Chemical Society, Croatian Society of Chemical Engineers and Matrix Croatica.
He was a leader of many national and international projects in the field of bioactive molecules and drug design, interactions and development of process analytical methods including the project Met4Pharm funded by EU structural funds. He was a head of Department of Chemistry and Division of Analytical chemistry. He is a doctoral study conductor at the Department of chemistry.
Note: this list of papers is located in an maintained by the Ruđer Bošković Institute which is in charge of the Croatian Scientific Bibliography Database (CROSBI). This link will take you to the appropriate CROSBI page of this person, containing a list of papers they have themselves entered in the database.
1) P. Novak, Z. Meić, H. Sterk: Conformational dependence of deuterium-induced isotope effects on the olefinic one-bond 13C-1H and three-bond 1H-2H coupling constants in cis- and trans-stilbene: NMR and AM1 study, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2 (1996) 2531–2536.
2) P. Novak, S. Sekušak, D. Vikić-Topić and Z. Popović: Hydrogen Bonding Interactions in the 2,2'-Bipyridine-Pyromelitic Acid Complex. Infrared, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Theoretical Studies, J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans., 94 (1998) 1051-1056.
3) P. Novak, P. Tepeš, M. Cindrić, M. Ilijaš, S. Dragojević, K. Mihaljević "Combined use of liquid chromatography-nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry for the characterisation of an acarbose degradation product", J. Chromatogr. A, 1033 (2004), 299-303.
4) P. Novak, I. Tatić, P. Tepeš, S. Koštrun i J. Barber, "A Systematic Approach to Understanding Ribosome-Macrolide Interactions: NMR and Modeling Studies of Oleandomycin and its Derivatives", J. Phys. Chem. A, 110 (2006) 580-588.
5) S. Kosol, E. Schrank, M. Bukvić Krajačić, G. E. Wagner, H. Meyer, C. Göbl, G.N. Rechberger, K. Zangger, P. Novak, "Probing the Interactions of Macrolide Antibiotics with Membrane-Mimetics by NMR Spectroscopy", J. Med. Chem., 55 (2012) (11) 5632–5636.
6) S. Glanzer, S. A. Pulido, S. Tutz, G.E. Wagner, M. Kriechbaum, N. Gubensäk, J. Trifunovic, M. Dorn, W. M. F. Fabian, P. Novak, J. Reidl, K. Zangger, "Structural and functional implications of the interaction between macrolide antibiotics and bile acids", Chem. Eur. J. 21 (2015) 4350–4358.
7) D. Šahnić, E. Meštrović, T. Jednačak, I. Habinovec, J. Parlov Vuković, P. Novak, Monitoring and quantification of omeprazole synthesis reaction by in-line Raman spectroscopy and characterization of the reaction components, Org. Process. Res. Dev. 20 (2016) 2092-2099
8) J. Parlov Vuković, T. Hrenar, P. Novak, J. Plavec, M. Friedrich, New multi-way model for identification of crude oil and asphaltene origin based on diffusion NMR spectroscopy, Energy & Fuels, 31 (2017) (8) 8095–8101
9) B. Arsic, J. Barber, A. Čikoš, M. Mladenović, N. Stanković, P. Novak, 16-Membered Macrolide Antibiotics: a Review, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents, 51 (2018) 283–298
10) J. Parlov Vuković, P. Novak, T. Jednačak, M. Kveštak, D. Kovačević, V. Smrečki, I. Mikulandra, S. Glanzer, K. Zangger, Magnetic field influence on asphaltene aggregation monitored by diffusion NMR spectroscopy: Is aggregation reversible at high magnetic fields?, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. https://doi.org/10.1080/01932691.2018.1561302
11) I.Grgičević, I. Mikulandra, M. Bukvić, M. Banjanac, I. Habinovec, B. Bertoša, P. Novak, Discovery of Macrozones, new antimicrobial thiosemicarbazone-based azithromycin conjugates: Design, synthesis and in vitro biological evaluation, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents, 56 (2020) 106147
12) T. Jednačak, I. Mikulandra, P. Novak, Advanced methods for studying structure and interactions of macrolide antibiotics, Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020, 21, 7799;doi:10.3390/ijms21207799
13) D. Raljević , J. Parlov Vuković , V. Smrečki , L. Marinić Pajc , P. Novak , T. Hrenar , T. Jednačak , L. Konjević , B. Pinević , T. Gašparac, Machine learning approach for predicting crude oil stability based on NMR spectroscopy, Fuel, 305, (2021) 121561
14) I. Habinovec, I. Mikulandra, P. Pranjić, S. Kazazić, H. Čipčić Paljetak, B. Bertoša, A. Barišić, M. Bukvić and P. Novak, Screening of novel antimicrobial diastereomers of azithromycin-thiosemicarbazone conjugates: A combined LC-SPE/cryo NMR, LC-MS/MS and molecular modelling approach, Antibiotics, 11 (2022) 1738
1) Macrozones, new conjugates of macrolide antibiotics: Design, synthesis and interactions, Croatian Science Foundation, (2018-2021).
2) Development of a new methodology for the control of drug preparation process- Met4Pharm, project leader, European fund for regional development, (2014-2016)
3) Analysis of macrolide derivatives, degradation products and mixtures; Project leader, University of Zagreb (2017)
4) Investigating macrolide antibiotic interactions with membranes and ribosomes as a tool for rational drug design, Project leader, Österreich Austauschdienst -GmbH,(2012-2013)
5) Macrolide-ribosome interactions monitored by NMR paramagnetic relaxation enhancements, Project leader, Österreich Austauschdienst -GmbH (2010-2011)
6) Development and application of an in-line method of Raman spectroscopy for drug research, Project leader, Croatian Science Foundation (2008-2010)
7) Interactions and design of bioactive molecules, Project leader, MZOŠ, (2007.-2013.)
8) Conformational analysis and hydrogen bonding interactions in thiosemicarbazones, EAST-NMR