Title: Associate Professor
Soil geochemistry, environmental assessment, water treatment technologies
• [10/2011 – present] Faculty of Science: associate professor
• [06/2006 – 10/2011] Faculty of Science: assistant professor
• [09/1997 – 06/2006] Faculty of Science: junior researcher and teaching assistant
· [05/2001 - 01/2004] University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science (PMF), Zagreb, Croatia
- PhD student at PMF, Department of Geology (Division of Mineralogy and Petrography)
- thesis title: 'Geochemical pattern of the Sava river alluvial sediments' (2004)
- thesis advisor: Esad Prohić
· [09/1997 - 05/2001] University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science (PMF), Zagreb, Croatia
- master student at PMF, Department of Geology (Division of Mineralogy and Petrography)
- Master's thesis: 'Geochemical, petrographic, and mineralogical characteristics of tufa rocks from the Zrmanja and Krupa rivers' (2001)
- thesis advisor: Esad Prohić
· [09/1990 - 07/1995] University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
- student of geology at the University of Zagreb, Croatia; advisor: Ladislav A. Palinkaš
- Diploma thesis: 'Metamorphogenic fluids in quartz and hyalophane from Zagrlski potok, Busovača, Mid-Bosnian schist mountains' (in Croatian)
- Dipl.Ing. degree with Honors
Medunić, G., Ahel, M., Božičević Mihalić, I., Gaurina Srček, V., Kopjar, N., Fiket, Ž., Bituh, T., Mikac, I. (2016). Toxic airborne S, PAH, and trace element legacy of the superhighorganic- sulphur Raša coal combustion: cytotoxicity and genotoxicity assessment of soil and ash. Science of the Total Environment, 566–567, 306-319.
Fiket, Ž., Medunić, G., Kniewald, G. (2016). Rare earth element distribution in soil nearby thermal power plant. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75, 7, 1-9.
Medunić, G., Šabarić, J., Krivohlavek, A., Divjak, D., Rađenović, A., Kampić, Š., Šeparović, A. (2016): Sulphur and heavy metal pollution of the coal-based city soil (Labin, Croatia). Goldschmidt Abstracts, 2016 2041
Rađenović, A., Medunić, G., Sofilić, T. (2016). The use of ladle furnace slag for the removal of hexavalent chromium from an aqueous solution. Metallurgical Research & Technology, 113, 606, 1-12.
Medunić, G., Šmit, Z. (2016). Organic micropollutants in the Sava and Bosna river overbank and floodplain sediments during the May through June 2014 catastrophic flood. Mining-geological-petroleum engineering bulletin, 31, 1, 45-52.
Medunić, G., Rađenović, A., Bajramović, M., Švec, M., Tomac, M. (2016). Once grand, now forgotten: what do we know about the superhigh-organic-sulphur Raša coal?. Mining-geological-petroleum engineering bulletin, 34, 27-45 (review paper).
Mesić Kiš, I., Karaica, B., Medunić, G., Romić, M., Šabarić, J., Balen, D., Šoštarko, K. (2016). Soil, bark and leaf trace metal loads related to the war legacy (The Prašnik rainforest, Croatia). Mining-geological-petroleum engineering bulletin, 31, 2, 13-28.
Rađenović, A., Medunić, G. (2015). Removal of Cr(VI) from aqueous solution by a commercial carbon black. Desalination and Water Treatment, 55, 183-192.
Zeiner, M., Juranović Cindrić, I., Lovrenčić Mikelić, I., Medunić, G., Kampić, Š., Tomašić, N., Stingeder, G. (2013). The determination of the extractability of selected elements from agricultural soil. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 185(1), 223-229.
Medunić, G., Juranović Cindrić, I., Lovrenčić Mikelić, I., Tomašić, N., Balen, D., Oreščanin, V., Kampić, Š., Ivković, I. (2013). Copper and zinc fractionation in apple orchard soil in the village of Bukevje (Croatia) using the revised four-step BCR extraction procedure. Archives of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, 64(4), 531-537.
Juranović Cindrić, I., Krizman, I., Zeiner, M., Kampić, Š., Medunić, G., Stingeder, G. (2012). ICP-AES determination of minor- and major elements in apples after microwave assisted digestion. Food Chemistry, 135(4), 2675-2680.
Oreščanin, V., Medunić, G., Tomašić, N., Ćosović, V., Lovrenčić Mikelić, I., Kampić, Š., Urlić, J. (2009). The influence of aluminium industry and bedrock lithology on the oxide content in the urban soil of Sibenik, Croatia. Environmental Earth Sciences, 59(3), 695-701.
Medunić, G., Tomašić, N., Balen, D., Oreščanin, V., Prohić, E., Kampić, Š., Ivanišević, D. (2009). Distribution of copper and zinc in the soil of an industrial zone in the city of Garešnica, Croatia. Geologia Croatica, 62(3), 179-187.
· Reviewer for: Journal of Geochemical Exploration, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Chemosphere, Science of The Total Environment, Environmental Earth Sciences, International Journal of Oil, Gas, and Coal Technology, and Toxin Reviews.
· Member of: European Association of Geochemistry; Croatian Geological Society
· Editorial board member: Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment; Journal of International Environmental Application & Science
· Invited talks: Penn State University (2016), Yamanashi University (2016), Chubu University (2016)
· Popular talks in public: Global warming; Multidisciplinary research in geology; Geologists are cool; Geological beauties of American southwest; Geomedicine; Meet the scientist; Fancy visiting US?; Geology joke: oxygen and magnesium got together (OMg)!; Soil, herbal, and aquatic pollution with S, Se, and trace metals from coal combustion: ecological risk assessment
· Received Annual Award of the Croatian Geological Society for work in the field of geomathematics that has profoundly influenced the popularization of the discipline in 2015
· Translated book of M. Tucker: 'Sedimentary petrology' into Croatian.
Teaching and Supervising Experience
· Courses designed and taught: Atmosphere pollution and global warming; Geochemistry; Principles of elemental and phase analysis; Geochemical methods of environmental investigation; Geochemical processes in sedimentary rocks; Geochemistry of sedimentary rocks; Geostatistics; Phase and elemental analyis
· Supervised 13 undergraduate and 20 graduate students
· English (fluent), German (pasive), French (pasive)