Office hours 11-12 am (MPZ), and online (mail, Teams).
University of Zagreb
Faculty of Science
Department of Geology
Horvatovac 95, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
P: +38514605909 | F: +38514605998
E: email@example.com | W: https://www.pmf.unizg.hr/geol/gordana.medunic
Short bio: Gordana Medunić is a full professor of environmental geochemistry at the Department of Geology (Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia). She completed her M.Sc. thesis in geochemistry of fresh-water carbonate rocks, and Ph.D. in environmental geochemistry of river floodplain sediments. Her ongoing scientific as well as teaching interests span the topics related to the health and environmental impacts of the coal industry. Through her multidisciplinary research, she has collaborated with coal geologists, water treatment technologists, physicists, chemists, biologists, toxicologists, and veterinary as well as occupational medicine professionals. Hereby, her research employs environmental indicators in terms of actual monitoring and assessment problems. She is currently interested in the fate of selenium (Se) and uranium (U) in the coastal karst environment, and risk assessment methods.
[02/2020 – present] Faculty of Science: full professor
[10/2011 – 02/2020] Faculty of Science: associate professor
[06/2006 – 10/2011] Faculty of Science: assistant professor
[09/1997 – 06/2006] Faculty of Science: junior researcher/teaching assistant
 University of Zagreb, PhD thesis: Geochemical patterns of the Sava River ecological system
 University of Zagreb, MSc thesis: Geochemistry of tufa rocks from the karst rivers
 University of Zagreb, BSc thesis: Fluid inclusions in quartz from Bosnian mountains
· The Technical Program Committee member: the 6th International Conference on Water Resource and Environment, August 23-26, 2020, Tokyo, Japan
· Participation in EU projects: 1/ Synthesys (Madrid, 2017) related to European natural history collections; and 2/ TECO (India, 2017-2018) related to Technological Eco - Innovations for the Quality Control and the Decontamination of Polluted Waters and Soils
· Society member: Croatian Geological Society (1997 – present); European Association of Geochemistry (2016); Society for Ecological Restoration (2019-2020); Istrian Mines Raša (2019-2020)
· Invited talks (including conference keynote speeches): Penn State University (USA, 2016); Yamanashi University (Kofu, Japan, 2016), Chubu University (Nagoya, Japan, 2016); EnviroChem (Serbia, 2018); Int. Conf. on Plants and Environmental Pollution (Lucknow, India, 2018), International Seminar on Sustainable Environment (Chennai, India, 2018), and The 6th International Conference on Water Resource and Environment (WRE 2020, online conference)
· Visiting professor: Southwest University, Chongqing, China (2019-2020)
· (Co)supervised 1 Ph.D., and 40+ M.Sc. theses
· Annual award (Croatian Geological Society) for the promotion of the field of geomathematics (2016)
· Editorial board (since 2014): 1/ Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment (Finland); and 2/ Journal of International Environmental Application & Science (Turkey)
· Reviewed 140+ scientific manuscripts: Springer, Elsevier, SAGE Publishing, MDPI, etc. (Publons profile)
Language Skills: Croatian (native), English (active), French (passive), German (passive).
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
Medunić, G., Grigore, M., Dai, S., Berti, D., Hochella, M.F., Mastalerz, M., Valentim, B., Guedes, A., Hower, J.C. (2020). Characterization of superhigh-organic-sulfur Raša coal, Istria, Croatia, and its environmental implication. Int. J. Coal Geol., 217, 103344.
Medunić, G., Bucković, D., Prevendar Crnić, A., Bituh, T., Gaurina Srček, V., Radošević, K., Bajramović, M., Zagorelec, Ž. (2020). Sulfur, metal(loid)s, radioactivity, and cytotoxicity in abandoned karstic Raša coal-mine discharges (the north Adriatic Sea). The Mining-Geological-Petroleum Bulletin (Rudarsko-geološko-Naftni Zbornik), 35(3), 1-16, doi: 10.17794/rgn.2020.3.1
Fiket, Ž., Medunić, G., Vidaković-Cifrek, Ž., Jezidžić, P., Cvjetko, P. (2019). Effect of coal mining activities and related industry on composition, cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of surrounding soils. Env. Sci. Poll. res., doi:10.1007/s11356-019-07396-w
Medunić, G., Singh, P.K., Singh, A.L., Rai, A., Rai, S., Jaiswal, M.K., Obrenović, Z., Petković, Z., Janeš, M., (2019). Use of Bacteria and Synthetic Zeolites in Remediation of Soil and Water Polluted with Superhigh-Organic-Sulfur Raša Coal (Raša Bay, North Adriatic, Croatia). Water, 11, 1419.
Dvoršćak, M., Stipičević, S., Mendaš, G., Drevenkar, V., Medunić, G., Stančić, Z., Vujević, D. (2019). Soil burden by persistent organochlorine compounds in the vicinity of a coal-fired power plant in Croatia: A comparison study with an urban-industrialized area. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 26, 23707-23716.
Fiket, Ž., Medunić, G., Furdek Turk, M., Kniewald, G. (2018). Rare earth elements in superhigh-organic-sulfur Raša coal ash (Croatia). Int. J. Coal Geol., 194; 1-10.
Medunić, G., Kuharić, Ž., Fiket, Ž., Bajramović, M., Singh, A.L., Krivohlavek, A., Kniewald, G., Dujmović, L. (2018). Selenium and other potentially toxic elements in vegetables and tissues of three non-migratory birds exposed to soil, water, and aquatic sediment contaminated with seleniferous Raša coal. Mining-geological-petroleum engineering bulletin, 33, 3; 53-62.
Medunić, G., Kuharić, Ž., Krivohlavek, A., Đuroković, M., Dropučić, K., Rađenović, A., Lužar Oberiter, B., Krizmanić, A., Bajramović, M. (2018). Selenium, sulphur, trace metal, and BTEX levels in soil, water, and lettuce from the Croatian Raša Bay contaminated by superhigh-organic- sulphur coal. Geosciences, 8, 11; 408-426.
Medunić, G., Kuharić, Ž., Krivohlavek, A., Fiket, Ž., Rađenović, A., Gödel, K., Kampić, Š., Kniewald, G. (2018). Geochemistry of Croatian superhigh-organic- sulphur Raša coal, imported low-S coal, and bottom ash: their Se and trace metal fingerprints in seawater, clover, foliage, and mushroom specimens. Int. J. Oil Gas Coal Technol., 18; 1/2; 3-24.
Radić, S., Medunić, G., Kuharić, Ž., Roje, V., Maldini, K., Vujčić, V., Krivohlavek, A. (2018). The effect of hazardous pollutants from coal combustion activity: Phytotoxicity assessment of aqueous soil extracts. Chemosphere, 199, 1; 191-200.
Medunić, G., Ahel, M., Božičević Mihalić, I., Gaurina Srček, V., Kopjar, N., Fiket, Ž., Bituh, T., Mikac, I. (2016). Toxic airborne S, PAH, and trace element legacy of the superhighorganic- sulphur Raša coal combustion: cytotoxicity and genotoxicity assessment of soil and ash. Sci. Total Environ., 566–567, 306-319.
Fiket, Ž., Medunić, G., Kniewald, G. (2016). Rare earth element distribution in soil nearby thermal power plant. Env. Earth Sci., 75, 7, 1-9.
Medunić, G., Rađenović, A., Bajramović, M., Švec, M., Tomac, M. (2016). Once grand, now forgotten: what do we know about the superhigh-organic-sulphur Raša coal?. Mining-geological-petroleum engineering bulletin, 31, 3; 27-45.
Note: this list of papers is located in an maintained by the Ruđer Bošković Institute which is in charge of the Croatian Scientific Bibliography Database (CROSBI). This link will take you to the appropriate CROSBI page of this person, containing a list of papers they have themselves entered in the database.
Transport, fate and toxicity of metal(loid)s released from industrial waste landfills, (FORtIS)“ - HRZZ (2019 – 2023), principal investigator: dr. sc. Željka Fiket (IRB)