1. To introduce students to the application of mathematical modelling in the analysis of biomedical systems,
2. To show how mathematics, especially partial differential equations and computing can be used in an integrated way to analyse biomedical systems.
1. Reaction kinetics. Michaelis-Menten kinetics, sigmoidal kinetics, oscillators and switches.
2. Dynamical behaviour of neuronal membranes. Hodgkin-Huxley model, Fitzhugh-Nagumo model.
3. Introduction in partial differential equations in biology. Conservation, convection, diffusion and attraction.
4. Traveling wave propagation. Fisher's equation.
5. Biological pattern formation. Turing model. A chemical basis for morphogenesis.
6. Moving boundary problems. Wound healing, tumour growth.