COURSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
The course is designed as repetitional and informative. Contents are covering the key concepts and subjects present in all levels of secondary schools education in physics, with emphasis on the area of mechanics and of electromagnetism. Strict mathematical formalism is adapted to the level of knowledge of students. Teaching topics are illustrated through a set of demonstration experiments prepared by the Faculty of Science - Physics Department, University of Zagreb. Numerical exercises are covering listed topics. The assumption is that such course can uniform knowledge of physics, regardless of student's prior knowledge and thus facilitate global understanding of natural science classes in high school.
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND SYLLABUS:
1. Kinematics - motion in the gravitational field, the circular motion.
2. Dynamics - Newton's axioms, Newton law of gravity.
3. Conservation of impulse - inertial systems; Galilean transformations.
4. Conservation of energy - work, energy, power.
5. Basic concepts of solid body rotation - moment of inertia, angular velocity, angular momentum.
6. Simple harmonic oscillator - the body on spring; mathematical pendulum.
7. Equation of state of ideal gas - a statistical implementation of Newton's laws, the concept of temperature.
8. The first (with reference to the second) law of thermodynamics-heat, work, internal energy.
9. Electrostatics - Coulomb force, Conservation of charge.
10. Magnetostatics - electric currents, magnetic field, Lorentz force.
11. Electromagnetic induction - Magnetic flux field transformer.
12. Altering Current - generalization of Ohm law.