1. Explain and distinct physical and chemical properties of matter, and physical and chemical changes of matter.
2. Explain electronic structure of atom and general principles of electron configuration.
3. Distinct types of chemical reactions, models of chemical bonding and types of intermolecular forces.
4. Understand the ideal gas laws.
5. Explain colligative properties of solutions and buffer solutions.
6. Explain rates of chemical reactions and chemical equilibrium.
7. Explain heats of reactions.
8. Describe properties of the main-group elements and compounds.
9. Solve simple numerical problems.
10. Perfom general chemistry laboratory experiments.
1. States of matter, physical and chemical properties of matter, physical and chemical changes of matter. The law of mass conservation and the low of definite composition.
2. The structure of the atom. Nuclear structure. Isotopes. Atomic weights. Periodic table of the elements. Chemical formulas.
3. Writing chemical equations. Balancing chemical equations. Precipitation reactions. Acid-base reactions. Oxidation-reduction reactions.
4. Thermochemistry. Enthalpy. Entropy. The Gibbs free Energy. Thermochemical equations. Hess's Law.
5. Wave nature of light. Atomic spectra. Bohr model of the hydrogen atom. The quantum-mechanical model of the atom. Electron structure of the atom. Electron configuration and the periodic table. Predictions from the periodic table (atomic radii , ionization energy, electron affinity).
6. The ionic bonding model. Energy involved in ionic bonding. Ionic radii.
7. The covalent bonding model. Lewis formulas. Octet rule. The shapes of molecules. The Valence-shell electron-pair repulsion (VSEPR) model. Valence bond theory and orbital hybridization.
8. Metallic bonding. Hexagonal and cubic closest packing.
9. Phase changes. Vapor pressure. Boiling point, melting point. Phase diagram. Properties of liquids. Crystalline and amorphous solids. Intermolecular forces.
10. The gas laws. The ideal gas law. Partial pressure of a gas. Real gases.
11. Types of solutions. Effects of temperature and pressure on solubility. Quantitative ways of expressing concentrations. Vapor pressure of a solution. Colligative Properties of Ionic Solutions.
12. Expressing the reaction rate. Factors that influence reaction rate. Equilibrium: the dinamic nature of equribrium state. Expresing equlibria. Le Chatelier's principle.
13. Arrhenius concept of acids and bases. Bronsted-Lowry concept of acids and bases. Lewis concept of acids and bases. Relative strengths of acids and bases. Self-ionization of water. Acid-base properties of salt solutions. The pH of a solution. Acid-Base buffer sysems.
14. Voltaic and electrolytic cells. Electrochemical cells, reduction and oxidation process.
15. Periodic patterns in the main group of elements.
1. S.I. units. Derived units. Significant figures.
2. Atomic and molecular weight. The mole concept. Percentages compostions.
3. Elemental analysis. Determining formulas (empirical, molecular).
4. Stoichiometry of formulas and equations. Limiting reactants.
5. Oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions.
6. Crystal structures (cubic crystal system).
7. Gas laws.
8. Expressing concentrations.
9. Colligative properties of solutions.
10. Acid-base equilibrium. pH.
11. Buffered solutions.
1. Determining the density of solid.
2. Basic separation techniques: decantation, filtration, vacuum distillation, sublimation.
3. Determining the melting point and boiling point.
4. Preparing and dilution molar solution.
5. Preparing the oxygen; preparing the nitrogen dioxide.
6. Determinining the change in enthalpy.
7. Voltaic and electrolytic cells.
- M. S. Silberberg: Chemistry, 2. izd., McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 2000.
- I. Filipović, S. Lipanović: Opća i anorganska kemija, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1997.
- M. Sikirica: Stehiometrija, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1987.
- M. Sikirica, B. Korpar-Čolig: Praktikum iz opće i anorganske kemije, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2001.
- R. Chang: Chemistry, 6. izd., McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 2000.
- D. Grdenić: Molekule i kristali, 4. izd., Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1989.