The main objective of this course is gaining active knowledge on soil as one of the most important natural resources both in Croatia and in the world, that is knowledge on soil fomation, its morphological, physical and chemical properties, knowledge on soil classification and characteristics of main soil types in Croatia.
Learning outcomes at the level of the programme to which the course contributes:
Professional knowledge, abilities and skills:
Knowledge and application of theories and methodology in physical geography.
Analysis and evaluation of climatic influences on physical and social environment.
Geomorphologic processes analysis and landforms evaluation.
Knowledge and application of nature and environment sustainable management and protection.
Knowledge, abilities and skills of physical environment analysis and evaluation in spatial and regional planning and environmental expertise documentation.
Cognitive abilities and skills:
Defining and solving spatial problems of high complexity.
Recognition and analysis of objects and processes crucial for the stability of geosystems.
The ability to interpret and discuss actual geography-related problems and processes.
Evaluation, interpretation and synthesis of relevant information.
Presentation and elaboration of scientific contents.
Implementation of appropriate measurement practice.
Practical abilities and skills:
Skills needed in fieldwork planning and realisation.
Mapping and visualization of physical environment.
Applying statistic and visualisation methods and techniques in analysis and presentation of the research results.
Making of geospatial databases.
Generic abilities and skills:
Application and planning of the research process.
Knowledge and application of statistic and visualisation techniques.
Problem solving, relating to qualitative and quantitative geographic information.
Functioning effectively as an individual and as a team member.
Continuous professional development.
Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course (4 to 10 learning outcomes):
Understand and critically evaluate the importance of land as a resource in the economic development of the country
Understand the role and importance of the pedosphere formation in the geosphere
Understand the effect of physical, chemical and biological processes in the genesis and the development of the pedosphere
Gain knowledge on soil geography ie on spatial distribution of soil in Croatia in terms of typology and assignment
- Husnjak, S., 2008: Pedogeografija, Interna skripta, Zavod za pedologiju Agronomskog fakulteta Sveučilišta u Zagrebu.
- Husnjak, S. (2014): Sistematika tala Hrvatske. Sveučilišni udžbenik. Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada, Zagreb
- Škorić, A., 1991: Sastav i svojstva tla. Udžbenik, Fakultet poljoprivrednih znanosti, Zagreb.
- Škorić, A., 1986: Postanak, razvoj i sistematika tla. Udžbenik, Fakultet poljoprivrednih znanosti, Zagreb.
- Husnjak, S. (2008):Pedogeography, Intern textbook, Soil Science Department, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb
- Škorić A. (1991): Composition and properties of soils. Textbook, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Zagreb
- Škorić A. (1986): Genesis, development and systematics of soil. Textbook, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Zagreb
- Spargaren, O.C., Deckers, J.A. (2009): Soil Geograpy and Classification. Land use, Land Cover and Soil Science. Vol. VI.