The inauguration of the memorial plaque took place on September 23, 2022, in the presence of dr. Luc Bergé, EPS president, members of Croatian Physical Society and Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service, representatives from Faculty of Science of University of Zagreb, from Croatian Academy of Science and Arts, from Rudjer Bošković Institute and Institute of Physics, from the City of Zagreb and from the media.
As early as January 2020, the old building of the Zagreb-Grič Observatory was accepted as an EPS Historic Site. The observatory was originally a meteorological station, founded at this site in 1861 and has been continuously operating ever since. In 1906, a seismological station was also established within the observatory. In 1908 Andrija Mohorovičić succeeded in acquiring new and improved seismographic equipment, making the Croatian observatory in Zagreb one of the most advanced in Europe. From the readings of data recorded on a destructive local earthquake the following year, Mohorovičić discovered the boundary between the Earth’s crust and its mantle in 1910.